Please pardon me for replying to this message in an incorrect manner (if in
fact I do) it is my first forray into your community.  I'm not sure I see
how Kevin was suggesting a model 1 architecture.  Model 1 as I understand
it, would suggest that a request is made from a browser to a jsp that in
turn might instantiate some kind of bean that would access database
resources (for example) directly.  In an earlier comment in this thread
Craig mentioned the fact that using filters the request can be made to a
resource that doesn't even exist.  In other words the request could be made
to a logical name (e.g. displayUser) rather than to a physical name (e.g.
DisplayUser.jsp).  Filters could be defined that would intercept the
request for the logical name displayUser performing business logic in
filter1 while generating a response in filter2.  In this case it seems to
me that the declarative nature of filters are in fact allowing for the
configurating of controlling logic prior to the generation of a response.

                                   Steve Monday

                    "Martin Cooper"

                    <martin.cooper@tumbl

                    eweed.com>

                    04/09/2002 12:07 AM

                    Please respond to    To: "Struts Developers List"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    "Struts Developers   cc:

                    List"

                                                Subject:     Re: Servlet 2.3 filter

Caterpillar: Confidential Green          Retain Until: 05/09/2002
                                         Retention Category:  G90 -
                                         Information and Reports