Nonetheless, a filter mapped to all requests to perform
path rewriting would seem to always be needed to catch
requests for static resources or any other requests not
coming into the controller. While it seems from your examples
that there are also ways to get that same rewriting performed
within the framework where needed, it's unfortunate that simply
putting the filter in place for all requests isn't enough.

         Mark