On 20 Sep 2002, David M. Karr wrote:

> Date: 20 Sep 2002 19:33:29 -0700
> From: David M. Karr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Help getting remote CVS set up
>
> Thanks for voting me in as a committer.  I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Definitely.

> Now, I could use a little help getting my remote CVS set up.  I'm using Cygwin,
> on Win2k.  Does anyone else here use that environment, and know how to properly
> set this up?  I tried doing a normal ssh login to cvs.apache.org, and then
> setting up WinCVS to log in.  I'd also like to be able to use Cygwin CVS, and
> the CVS interface inside XEmacs (which I guess just uses the external "cvs").
>
> I tried setting my CVSROOT to the following, which I thought was close to what
> was recommended in the CVS setup on the Jakarta pages:
>
>  :pserver:dmkarr@localhost:2401/home/cvs
>
> However, I got the following when I tried to log in:
>
> cvs [login aborted]: connect to localhost(wondark):2401 failed: No connection could
>be made because the target machine actively refused it.
>
> I would guess this has something to do with "tunnelling" not being properly set
> up, but I'm unsure.

What you have to do on Unix systems (and I'd imagine it's the same with
CYGWIN) is to use two different command windows.

In the first one, set up tunnelling like this:

  ssh -l dmkarr -C -L 2401:localhost:2401 cvs.apache.org

In the second one (or from EMACS or other CVS clients), you should now be
able to use the CVSROOT you tried.  Tunnelling will only work while the
connection to cvs.apache.org (established in the first window) is active.