I agree that at this point pulling the Validator and Tiles from the core distribution
would be more trouble than
keeping them in, but it's important to note that both components have been around
since the Struts 0.5 era, and
I was using them in production with a late beta of Struts 1.0 years ago.

Struts does have an open architechture, and there are many important Struts extensions
that aren't kept in our
CVS.

-Ted.