Peter A. J. Pilgrim wrote:

As a core contributor for Expresso Framework I find this discussion interesting.

In Expresso one of the contributors put together a XML Augmentator that parse
several XML configuration files. We integrated Struts 1.0.2 so we do not have
a special notation of sub applications, but just the one struts-config file, but
we can have several *expresso-struts-config* files.
If the expresso-strut config implement the same XML DTD then in theory they can merged together internally in a giant DOM. This is what I think the contribotor ( Mike Rimov, I think) did for Expresso. I am not sure how it solves the modules problem though in pure Struts.

I have a little difficult understanding the terminology here.
Is a module the same as a subapplication?
Yes. I am not sure who started that nomenclature, but I find it more intuative. Plus - sub-apps implies there is a super-app ;-) and there isn't.

I can see a might have a little bit work ahead of me, when I start trying to
integrate Struts 1.1 with the latest Expresso if I do not under all the
sub application issues.

For Expresso it will make sense to subapplications to know about the default application (which is in our case Expresso). A sub application should be able
to find out about sub applications also loading into the system. But hey may be
I am way of base here. TRYING TO KEEP TEXT SHORT, TOO MUCH STRAIN ON MY EYES.
You may wait to see what's in 1.2 before you try to incorporate a newer release. I can't say exactly what it will look like, but modules are anticipated to be somewhat more knowledgable about one another in that release. 1.1 is, as Ted noted "Wall of China" seperatism.

--
Eddie Bush