David M. Karr wrote:

"Eddie" == Eddie Bush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

   Eddie> Ok - you asked for it.  Note that this error *only* arises if I try to use the
   Eddie> html tag (ELHtmlTag class).  It occurs during page compilation -

   Eddie> not during execution.

   Eddie> index.jsp [-1:-1] java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
   Eddie>         at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
   Eddie>         at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:130)

   Eddie> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
   Eddie>         at
   Eddie> org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources.getMessageResources(MessageResources.java:577)

   Eddie>         at org.apache.struts.taglib.html.HtmlTag.<clinit>(HtmlTag.java:91)

Ok, I've thought about this a bit, but I only have a minute now.  I have a
couple of wild guesses to make.

Are you using Tomcat, and just using the Manager to "reload" your application,
after you added the references to "html-el:html"?  If so, do a "remove" on the
application and reinstall it.  If that works, I think this might be a
bug/feature in Tomcat, wrt reflection, classloading, and BeanInfo classes.

Impossible. Recall (did I not mention this? maybe I didn't ...) I build an absolutely new app - very small - which includes that one tag. If I use the struts-html set all is good. If I use struts-html-el it ... pukes :-(

It's not a matter of running. It's *compiling* (hasn't run at this point) when the error occurrs. I do run Tomcat though, but this doesn't happen as part of a reload. This happens in Netbeans. It happens only if I use ELHtmlTag. It happens only during compilation. I'll move the app over to a webapp folder and see if it pukes under TC.

--
Eddie Bush