On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Matt Raible wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:17:21 -0700
> From: Matt Raible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Struts Developers List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: xhtml javascript hiding methods
>
> I think the best reason for generating XHTML (at this point) is that
> adding an XHTML doctype at the top of a page makes IE and Mozilla "snap"
> to standards-compliant mode.  Rather than writing tweeks for each
> browser - the same code works in both.  This is a real lifesaver when
> doing CSS positioning and DOM-based Javascript in pages.  It's also
> really nice to be able to validate (http://validator.w3.org) code.

I have no argument with supporting an XHTML output mode in our tags
(thankfully, others did most of the work to make that happen :-).

I object to generating *incorrect* XHTML -- or XHTML that doesn't follow
the recommendations of the standard -- simply to deal with stupid
browsers.  It's basically the same reason I do not want to see us add
non-standard HTML attributes to what we generate either.