I have read the spec and it suggests using CDATA to maintain the script in xml user agents but comments will also work for html based user agents. The example app does not use external scripts exclusively, it uses the <html:javascript> tag to generate the form validation. I don't see any easy way to use external scripts for the validation because it contains localized messages.

We should let users decide which method they choose to hide the javascript from xml parsers based on their needs.

David

From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: xhtml javascript hiding methods
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:44:28 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, David Graham wrote:

> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:35:48 -0700
> From: David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: xhtml javascript hiding methods
>
> My mail doesn't seem to be sending but I'll try anyway...
>
> The tags do not output the language script attribute when xhtml is enabled.
> Also, we're not generating incorrect xhtml. You can have the choice of how
> to hide the js from an xml parser. Either use a comment or a CDATA section.

From the XML perspective, using comments is hopelessly broken -- any XML
preprocessing or postprocessing you do to the source of a page (say,
with a Filter) will cause the script contentes to disappear.

The XHTML 1.0 spec is at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

and Section 4.8 documents that you're supposed to use CDATA.

Regarding the JavaScript code generated by the validator, the right answer
is to use external script pages -- like we do in the example webapp.