From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 1:47 PM
To: Clovis Yutaka Harada
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: First Topic for discussion on Axis4Struts

Kevin,

I don?t read Struts-user, so sorry if you?ve already discussed this...

I?m not figuring out what are the usage scenarios for this integration.
What are the advantages of having this integration ?

Why do this if you already have this:

---------------    SOAP   --------             ----------------
| SOAP client | <-------> | Axis |  <--------> | Your Service |
---------------           --------             ----------------
                                                        ^

----------- http/html ---------       ---------------   |
| Browser | <-------> | Struts | <--> | Your Action |<--+
-----------           ----------      ---------------

Since your action is probably page/form oriented, I don?t know why to
reuse
it for other pourposes other then page/form oriented services. I think
also
that Validator should be used in front of your service with Axis.

I am very interested in web services, so if you give me a good reason to
this integration, I can help develop it. (I mean a good reason for me
:-).

Clovis

<Kevin's Comments>
Basically, I asked myself a similar question: If you are already
programming Axis code why would you want to build you back end from
Struts
rather than just build your business logic in Axis directly?

I think there are some compelling reasons:

 - If you're already programming Struts apps and need to expose some
business logic through a Web Service to some non-java client (or even a
non-http Java client), then this gives you a way to do that.

[Mike Oliver>>] conversely if you start with a web service and have a
need to build a Struts User Interface to some or all of it you would put
Axis behind Struts (as Kevin's book describes in Chapter 19...see Kevin
I read too;-). We are just going the other way here.  Reusing the code
you already have or providing alternate Views for new applications.

 - I believe it will simplify the Axis interface and WSDL that describes
the web service. Rather than identifying a number of different Web
Service
'endpoints', I believe you'll be able to define (potentially) just one
Web
Service endpoint that accesses Struts. Then you will be able to invoke
various Struts Actions by passing data to that web service endpoint.

 - Bring an MVC architecture to Axis may add a good deal of value as
well.
Currently there is really nothing like this.

 - In the end it may make building java-based web services easier.

As for a good reason for you to get involved - I think gaining deep
knowledge of both Axis and Struts seems like a pretty good investment
for
anyone looking to increase their value as a developer....

</Kevin's Comments>

[Mike Oliver>>] I would add that with Struts 2.0 on the Horizon, the
lessons we learn here may influence to some extent the Next Generation
and perhaps provide other alternate entry points for other transports
to/from the Struts MVC.  For example what if the Actions didn't need to
have the HTTPRequest or HTTPResponse objects?  Then you could have
different RequestProcessors to handle other transports but access and
execute the same actions, ideally the Actions should be acting on data
already extracted from the Request in the FormBean and only some of the
Forwards need or want access to the Response.  If we can more loosely
couple the actions from the Request and Response the better we can reuse
components and avoid the temptation to build the View too tight to the
Controller or Model.

---
This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the
use
information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential and exempt
from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified
that
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>