> At 4:49 PM -0500 2003/01/24, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  > I still haven't really absorbed the rationale for this, and my
> >>  difficulty in answering some of your questions make me willing to
> >>  step up and say so.
> >
> >>  Maybe it would help if we could frame the goal of the project, in
> >>  terms of more than "wouldn't it be cool?"
> >
> >How about:
> >
> >  > My understanding is that people would like to be able to use Struts
> >>  as a single controller, with multiple "views" -- a web services view
> >>  as well as more familiar browser views.  If this is the case, then it
> >>  seems that it would make sense to integrate Struts and Axis into a
> >>  single web application.

I blinked and my response was gone... Must be Friday! ;->

> Assuming that you meant "Joe, you answered your own question," I
> should clarify -- I accept the idea that struts might be a handy
> single controller for browser views and web-service views.

I particularly agree with the "might be". ;-)

> My question was "what's the rationale for deploying Struts and Axis
> in separate web applications."    It seems to me like it adds
> complexity and overhead in trade for a flexibility which may not be
> all that necessary.  If you needed Struts to be in a separate web app
> from Axis, then in that case I would just use Axis to generate stubs
> from WSDL and use the stubs in Struts (or below it in the model
> layer) to talk to Axis.

I just felt that requiring the two to be in the same webapp was an
unnecessary restriction.

If you have an existing Axis app and you have an existing Struts app then
tying the two together could most easily be done if you left them in their
respective WAR files seperate from each other.

Plus part of it was just practical - I thought it would be the easiest,
fastest way to build something that tests the idea.

I agree that an approach that had both Axis and Struts in the same app and
allowed for objects to be passed directly between them would give better
response and in the end may be the best approach. But I'm also afraid that
as soon as it gets built the Action Servlet would be modified and suddenly
work differently (requiring rework to keep up).

One thing about defining the interface to be an HTTP request is that you
can count on the format (virtually) never changing. The format of an HTTP
post is governed by the HTTP protocol, not by the Struts developers.