Ben,

When I say, "An Actor posts a request to Struts, the data passed in the
request is used to determine what action to take, execute the action and
return a response to the requesting Actor".

In the above statement am I talking about a User on a Browser or an
Application as the "Actor"?

If as you say Axis doesn't provide a "View" then what does it provide?
It accepts requests for action and returns a response.  The business
logic in a web service isn't in the Axis layer, nor should it be, no
more than should the business logic be in the JSPs for Struts
Applications.  So I must disagree, all Axis does is provide a View, it
certainly isn't an application's Controller or Model, it is an Interface
and therefore a View.

I am afraid I don't understand why you think the use of Axis to provide
another view requires us to "dumb down the server app".   Refer to my
paragraph #1

Michael Oliver
AppsAsPeers LLC
7391 S. Bullrider Ave.