>> 1) Putting an '*' into a label for required fields assumes people want
>> an
>> '*', maybe they want a '(R)' or maybe they want something else entirely
>> (perhaps an image...).
>>
>> 2) Putting an '*' after a label for required fields assumes people want
>> an '*' after the label.  Perhaps they want the '*' before the label or
>> after the actual input field.  Consider the label 'Name:' with three text
>> boxes for first, last, and middle.  First and last might be required but
>> middle is not.  There is no clear way to mark first and last but not
middle with
>> this enhancement.

>The required field marking should be a tag attribute.

My point is more that no assumption should be made on:
1)What symbol should be used to show required fields, and
2)Where that symbol should be placed.

I think that if you want to show a symbol for required fields, the only
thing
a tag should do is show the symbol.  As for where you define what that
symbol is;
I think it should be in a resource bundle, that way it can be 'R' for your
english required and 'N' for your spanish nessicito (if that is in fact what
they like)

This gives you the flexibility to do the following:
key='label.firstName'/><html:text property='firstName'/>
-or-
First Name: <html:text property='firstName'/><html:required
key='myForm.firstName'/>
-or-
<bean:message key='label.firstName'/><html:required
key='myForm.firstName'/><html:text property='firstName'/>

>> 3) Forcing people to use the ResourceBundle to display labels requires a
>> lot
>> more effort for applications that have no internationalization
>> requirements.
>> For many web applications, html text is enough and does not require a
>> heavy
>> resource bundle to maintain or keep in memory.

>It does not require "a lot more effort" to use a resource bundle.  One
>main reason Struts was created in the first place was to i18n applications
>easily.  Many existing Struts tags require resource bundle keys and we
>should not allow new tags to just print out non-internationalized text.

I disagree, while for many applications using a resource bundle is a great
thing,
for many others the resource bundle is unneeded overhead.  I am currently
working on a 300+ page web application that will never need to display other
languages.  To use RB's to display each and every label on each and every
page
is more work to manage, is overhead to keep in memory, and does take more
time
to load on each page.

IMHO, I think it is a better idea to 'wrap' whatever text a user wants to
use,
however they want to generate it.
Ex:
-or-
property='firstName'/></html:label>

*Note* I dont see the above printing out a symbol for required fields, to
get that you
would need...
(or put it wherever else you would want it)

Thanks,
Jonathan