> >It does not require "a lot more effort" to use a resource bundle.  One
> >main reason Struts was created in the first place was to i18n
> applications
> >easily.  Many existing Struts tags require resource bundle keys and we
> >should not allow new tags to just print out non-internationalized text.
>
> I disagree, while for many applications using a resource bundle is a
> great
> thing,
> for many others the resource bundle is unneeded overhead.  I am
> currently
> working on a 300+ page web application that will never need to display
> other
> languages.  To use RB's to display each and every label on each and
> every
> page
> is more work to manage, is overhead to keep in memory, and does take
> more
> time
> to load on each page.

A 300 page app needs a resource bundle even for only 1 language.  I've
found it extremely useful to manage all text from one place instead of
searching through hundreds of pages.  The memory and performance arguments
are red herrings.  The bundle lookup is little more expensive than a hash
table lookup and the memory used is negligable.

> IMHO, I think it is a better idea to 'wrap' whatever text a user wants
> use,
> however they want to generate it.
> Ex:
> -or-
> property='firstName'/></html:label>

It's reasonable to allow the user to specify a lookup key or use the tag's
body text.

David