On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Chris Nokleberg wrote:

> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:59:31 -0700
> From: Chris Nokleberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Reflection
>
> Ted Husted wrote:
> > Gavin King, creator of Hibernate and an avid CGLIB user, isn't sure
> > whether CGLIB, as it stands, would be much help to BeanUtils. The
> > trick would be to get the CGLIB team interested in helping with
> > BeanUtils.  This would not only benefit the Struts JSP tags, but every
> > other application that uses the Commons BeanUtils.
>
> Hi, I'm one of the co-authors of CGLIB. It has actually been my plan to
> use CGLIB to improve the performance of BeanUtils for a while, see my
> blog entry at http://sixlegs.com/blog/java/blojsom-permalink-filter.html

Hi Chris,

(I get an index out of bounds exception on that link ... :-)

That's good news!  The best place to get involved in BeanUtils, of course,
is over on commons-dev, but there are lots of interested folks here too.

> Certainly there is a lot that can be done to improve performance even
> without changing the BeanUtils API at all. I do have in mind some more
> radical changes but those can wait...for example there is not much need
> for DynaBeans when you can dynamically generate real beans.

I'm interested in both kinds (evolution and revolution) of progress.

> FYI CGLIB in CVS is now about 165K including all dependencies. You could
> strip that down a little bit if you didn't want all the proxy stuff.
>
> Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> > The quality of your container's JSP page compiler is very critically
> > important.  For example, the change from Jasper 1 to Jasper 2 in
> > Tomcat (around 4.1.18 or so) resulted in page rendering time
> > improvements of 600% to 800% (enough to be visible even in a single
> > user environment on a fast machine), running exactly the same Struts
> > based application.
>
> A little plug...my company is also developing a high-performance JSP 2.0
> engine for scriptless pages which uses CGLIB to compile EL expressions,
> optimize taglibs, and avoid the need for javac at deployment (it
> compiles directly to byte-code, no Java source is involved).

Sounds like a very interesting project.