From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 7:57 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: RE: Decomposing RequestProcessor -- Some Code To Play With

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Tom Drake wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:38:51 -0700
> From: Tom Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Struts Developers List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: Decomposing RequestProcessor -- Some Code To Play With
>
> Forgive me if this has already been brought up, but
> jakarta-commons/sandbox/chain appears to have significant conceptual
> overlap with commons/sandbox/functor. (Command := UnaryPredicate)
>
> Any thoughts about merging these concepts?
>
> Tom

Functors (at least the way Rodney did them in the functor package) are
different in two very significant ways:

* They have a return type of void, so you can't
  use the return value as a flag that the chain
  has been completed.

* They don't pass a context around, so you have
  to define some other mechanism to gain access
  to the state information that your command
  operates on.

I didn't like either of those two restrictions, so I don't know how much
you could really combine the two approaches.