Ted Husted wrote:
I working on something similar right now too, but using the FormProc package. I believe that we should represent entire input form in XML, including things like the default control type and field labels, and so forth, along with prompts, error messages, validations, and type conversions. Ideally, we should be able to write a default form just by reference to an XML element.

What I like about FormProc is that is not focussed on JavaBeans, but on the process of validating a list of parameters against a form definition and then transferring the validated properties to some target object. The object can also be a Map, which makes for a very nifty hand-off to something like a Context. =:)

In fact, expanding on the DynaForm idea, it might also be possible to create a type-safe Context backed by a XML-configured form object. We could then use the same XML document on both layers. On the presentation layer, it can generate and/or validate the data-entry form. On the business layer, it can define the properties expected by a Context.

Of course, this is much like what we've been talking about doing for the Validator, but right now the emphasis there seems to be on the JavaBean and moving away from the form, where I believe we should be emphasizing the form and moving away from (pure) JavaBeans.

Ted

You lost me over the architecture.
What I dont understand is that the current browsers are communicating
HTML on HTTP. So how in the first do you get XML in the front end?
Are proposing that there are new types of browsers that communicate
exclusively XML over HTTP?

If so then it makes for interesting future, where the HTTP request representing
a HMTL Form for example, a POST method, is a XML document and the output
is XML.

-- Peter Pilgrim __ _____ _____ _____ / //__ // ___// ___/ + Serverside Java / /___/ // /__ / /__ + Struts / // ___// ___// ___/ + Expresso Committer __/ // /__ / /__ / /__ + Independent Contractor /___//____//____//____/ + Intrinsic Motivation On Line Resume || \\===> `` http://www.xenonsoft.demon.co.uk/no-it-striker.html ''