----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Struts Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2003 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: Where is Struts 2 going?

> <side-note>It's been quite interesting to watch how the term "reference
> implementation" has been morphed from a pejorative complaint several years
> ago -- an implied "it's *only* the reference implementation" -- into a
> perception of high quality :-)</side-note>
>
> Craig

Ha, well depends on who is doing the implementation! If you take something
like tomcat, then yes, fantastic - jakarta open source RI, coluldn't be
better. On the other hand I've seen some SIP RI's from commercial companies
that really are there only for "reference".

The question then is what's the future for the Faces RI? Is it going to be a
proper "product" that Sun supports and develops like any of its other java
products, or is it there really just as a "proof of concept" or "reference
for other implementors"? Will Sun be promoting people to go implement real
systems based on the RI when its "released"?

Niall