On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:13:02 +0100
> From: robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Where is Struts 2 going?
>
> On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 12:01 AM, Jing Zhou wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > 4) We could add more... (like portlets)
>
> (this is probably a bit left field but you need to make time to dream...)
>
> i'm a big fan of cocoon and have some idea about when webservices are the
> answer but one idea i've been turning over in ideal moments is whether (or
> rather how) MVC (and in particular struts) could (or rather should) be
> applied to xml-centric environments.

I'm interested in seeing this happen as well.

A couple of folks have taken Struts-based stabs at precisely this use case
-- check out Stxx and StrutsCX in the resources pages,

  http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/resources/views.html

> at the moment struts has action forms which are mapped from http requests.
>   i've been wondering about plugging some kind of bean-centric
> pre-processor (could be betwixt, could be castor, could be a JAXB
> implementation, could be XMLBeans) to convert an incoming xml document
> into a bean representation and then feeding that into a struts action.
> probably need an xml-centric output wrapper to help write a response to
> xml from output beans.
>
> the advantage of this kind of approach is that it cuts the overhead which
> i've observed you get when you ask java coders to 'just go do that xml
> thing'. on the other hand, an experience struts coder should be able to
> handle java bean-in, java bean-out just fine.
>
> <sigh>too much to do, too little time</sigh>

For those of you who don't know Robert, he has done a *ton* of heavy
lifting on some of the key Commons packages we care about, as well as
helping all of Jakarta get our act together on the web site.  When he says
he's got too lttle time, it's probably because he's already doing so much
good stuff ;-).