I use dynamic fields all the time.  The fields visible to the user are based
on a usage profile, for example if a user is entering orders and his profile
is for export orders he sees a booking field, if his profile is for domestic
orders he doesn't.

This is a view issue, the booking should be in the model and passed through
struts NMW (I don't believe the small DB optimization is worth the trouble).
The issue to struts and the model is the conditional validation.  There is
one other place where this is a problem and that is with the struts method
of handling checkboxes since all of them on a specific form have to be reset
and if they are conditional in the view it poses a problem although they
pose a problem on a multipage form in any case.

Edgar

updated.