Relying on the request dispatcher ties you to the Servlet API.
Furthermore, extensions are inadequate as more than one "handler", to use
Joe's terminology, might be interested in a particular extension.  If the
URL idea is collectively shot down, I vote for Joe's idea of adding an
attribute the the forward element.  In either case, 100% backwards
compatibility should be maintained.

Don