At 10:55 AM -1000 12/19/03, Don Brown wrote:
Yes, that is another way to handle it.  I never liked that approach since
it meant those urls could be accessed directly and I feel everything
should be behind Struts and its security.  Besides, that approach ties
your app to the Servlet API.

Touché... but I thought we were talking about STXX in Struts 1.x now. Besides, you could but the pages behind WEB-INF just like JSPs and avoid the direct access.

A few compromises: a different, unique syntax that doesn't look like a URL:

[jsp[Foo.jsp]]
jsp<Foo.jsp>

or some other...

or a two-part naming scheme like
<forward path="Foo.jsp" handler="requestDispatcher" />
although more likely for backwards compatibility the "handler" part would default to requestDispatcher. In fact, maybe you could just treat "handler" as the application-scoped name of a processor adhering to some interface that would do the processing... then you don't even have to parse the path; just pass it as is to the named handler if it's not the request processor.

Joe

Don

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Joe Germuska wrote:

 >Could stxx's XML processing features be put into Struts 1.x?  Yes, but
 >before that happens, I think some sort of url feature for forwarded paths
 >should be put in first.  This would allow a request to easily be forwarded
 >to a different presentation system without modifying or overriding the
 >request processor.  For example, a forward to a jsp page could look like:
 >"jsp://Foo.jsp", for tiles: "tiles://Foo.jsp", and for stxx:
 >"stxx://Foo.xsl".  This feature would make it easy to have multiple
 >presentation engines, a feature we say Struts supports, but it doesn't
 >really.

 I'm still uncomfortable with minting new URL schemes.  Couldn't this
 be solved by deploying an additional servlet mapped to handle other
 extensions?  This is how JSPs work as it is; if your deployment
 descriptor gave *.xsl to the STXX servlet, then
 requestDispatcher.forward() would give control to STXX just to do the
 view rendering.

--
Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]