From: Joe Germuska [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 10:46 AM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: RE: why are form beans required for html:form?

At 8:25 AM -0700 1/15/04, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I think this is a great idea.  We often use buttons on the form for
>navigation between inquiry/dispaly pages which requires that we use a
>default formbean.  Maybe you could add the attributre to the action noded
>of the struts config file instead of making it a custom tag attribute?
>This would allow you to let the request processor do the check and
>instantiate a base/dummy action form.  Then you wouldn't have to refactor
>the tag libraries?  I suppose this might sound like a kluge.

Gary:

which is the great idea?  Using some config param to make the form
optional?  Or just making it optional in general?  I'm not sure what
the dummy form is for, unless the form wasn't optional.

I'm wondering if I might not also like behavior that also let you use
HTML form tags in the absence of a backing form bean; just skip the
re-filling instead of throwing an error.  That would allow us to have
non-programmers flesh out JSPs including forms with the right Struts
tags at any time ahead of programmers coming along and implementing
the form pieces.  They're already familiar with substituting <html:*>
for <input type="*"> in production apps, but they aren't ready to do
a lot of struts-config work defining form beans and action mappings.

Would people object to reworking the form tags for more graceful
degradation at all levels in the absence of a form bean, instead of
exception throwing?

Joe

>Gary VanMatre

Joe Germuska