Quoting Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> [...]

My particular concern on reducing dependencies is with the recent changes in
commons-collections -- it's going to lead to disaster.

Not for us ... our dependencies are very narrow, and did not get obsoleted ...
but for anyone using Tomcat (and that is a *lot* of people) the fact that
collections is no longer backwards compatible is a *huge* issue for people who
are going to be stuck with needing to put commons-collections.jar into Tomcat's
common/lib directory.

I've already committed the necessary changes to the CVS tree in
commons-digester.  When I get back from my trip to Japan next week (speaking at
Java Tech Days on the 18th and 19th), I'm going to do the same for the HEAD of
commons-beanutils (dependence on collections is mostly about FastHashMap, which
we contributed initially; dependence on commons-lang is a really bad idea
because we have no need for 99.9% of that stuff).  Anyone who depends on
commons-collections in a deeper way than we do is totally screwed by the most
recent release.  That sort of behavior should be condemned, not condoned.