On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:56:11 -0600, Joe Germuska wrote:
> I love this.  I actually hadn't seen it before.   We had talked
> briefly a few days ago about a "StrutsContext" as the argument to
> Action.execute() and Renderer.render() -- but it looks to me like
> this class is everything I would expect that one to be...   Unless
> it was assumed that StrutsContext would implement
> o.a.c.chain.Context, which may be a good idea -- haven't thought
> about it that much.
>
> Where is this actually being used now?  Just in the Velocity tools?
> I think the struts-chain stuff might be clearer if they all passed
> a ConfigHelper instance along instead of each needing to know the
> context key under which various items would be found.  I'm assuming
> from the design of the struts-chain commands that someone may have
> thought there was a good reason to keep that more flexible --
> perhaps for interaction with unforeseen commands -- but sometimes I
> think that makes it more complicated than it needs to be.
>
> Joe

The ConfigHelper was never actually used by Velocity Tools, except to show where all
the bodies were buried. I very much doubt that anyone is actually using it right now.

Like a lot of things, it's just continuation of many things that we've done all along.
We already put the ActionMapping in the request. This puts "Struts" in the request :)

I've renewed development of this class over to Commons Chain, where work has begun on
a "Struts MailReader for Commons Chain" example application.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/chain/apps/mailreader/

I think in the 1.3 era, where Commons Chain is part of the core, we could in fact base
an ActionContextBase on a.o.c.chain.ContextBase. There could also be a clean-room
interface that exposed things like Messages and Mappings and Validators (oh my!), to a
business Command, but not the http interface or contexts.

-Ted.