[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Sorry to be dense, but...  What is <load-on-startup> ?  I didn't see it
> mentioned in the docs anywhere.
>
> (Perhaps I would know this if I were using struts, but right now I'm just
> trying to evaluate it, and since I'm stuck with a weblogic server, I'm
> curious to understand any issues regarding using struts with weblogic.)

<load-on-startup> is a setting in the web application deployment descriptor
(WEB-INF/web.xml) that instructs the servlet container to load a particular servlet
when the server is first started, instead of waiting for the first request.  It is a
required feature of the servlet 2.2 specification, which (apparently) WebLogic does not
support correctly.

The Struts example application relies on this functionality to initialize its
"database", because the initialization happens in a servlet that is never directly
called by the user -- it is assumed that it will have been loaded already.

There have been quite a few discussions of running Struts under WebLogic (and other
server environments) earlier on this mailing list.

> Thanks
> --Eric

Craig McClanahan