I tend to use bulk setters on the helper classes to transfer everything
from the ActionForm at once, e.g.

    public void setString(
            String property0, String property1, String property2, String
property3
         ) throws SQLException {
         values.updateString("property0",property0);
         values.updateString("property1",property1);
         values.updateString("property2",property2);
         values.updateString("property3",property3);
    }

The helper class can then expose the properties to the EJB, or other
data access object, in their native type.

-- Tel 716 737-3463.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/