> > > Now I have to either covert the attribute to local variable or
> > > use <bean:define>. Why not just create the variable like <bean:define>
> > > does?
> >
> > But one of the main purposes of Struts is to get away from using
> scriptlets.
>
> I agree. There are tasks where no scriplets are necessary so they should
> not be used. Sometime however avoiding a scriplet is not easy, and writing
> custom tags with the sole purpose to avoid one scriplet in one jsp sounds
> like overkill.
>
> But I still can access the form bean in scriplet, only the scriplet is
> more complicated and error prone. And when so many other structs tags
define
> scriplet varibales, why should not <html:form> do it too?

No arguments here.   It certainly could.... and it would be a fairly easy
modification for it to do so.

Perhaps you could post a use-case for why you need it.   If you convinced me
enough I'd make the changes and submit them as a patch for consideration by
the struts-dev group.  Or you could make the changes yourself.

    Erik