Hello,

  To build Tiles, go to tiles directory, provide your own build.properties
file (check the example in directory), with  absolute paths for requested
paths.  Then run "ant dist". Tiles should compile.
  You can also build Tiles from Struts build file, if you specify absolute
paths in your build.properties file.

  Do not override struts build file with tiles build file. The sources you got
from apache or from tiles site are exactly the same and are used as is to build
binary distributions.

  Cedric