For what it's worth to this discussion, people that say
these "off-the-cuff" statements truly have never used or
just don’t understood the concept of a Framework.

If you don't take advantage of a framework, Struts or
any other, you only end up repeating over and over the
same classes, methods, etc...

If you can get people, managers, executives to
understand the value add proposition of using a
framework like Struts, it has been my experience that
your chance of bringing it in house is much easier. Once
they understand “Oh you mean, much of the mundane tasks
are already done”, then they are all about how good it
is.

Ignorance really isn’t bliss :)

Chuck