I use WSAD,

it has some prety functionalities, but need a well powered PC (I've got a
P3-500/256Mo and it goes very sloooooow !). My opinion is it is a too heavy
environment for current PCs generation. You will need 512Mo as WSAD process
uses 150Mo for itself...

I used to make my development with a simple java/xml/text editor (ultraedit)
and JDK command line javac, test it on tomcat (that reloads application on
JPS/class changes), and then import into WSAD for CVS support. So I can open
a JSP without waiting 30 seconds for "JSP validation" and so on. It's also a
good way to get used to write well formed code without editor help (but not
bug free !).

I tried just one time WSAD included tomcat test environment and got time to
go drink a coffee. On the other side, standalone tomcat does not provide
debugger, profiling tools...

I don't know about Eclipse perfs, or WSAD usage on recent PCs.

Nico