> Fecha: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
> De: "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> A: Struts Users Mailing List
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Asunto: Re:  DynaActionForm Advantages
>

> > The problem was that the DAF class was not made
> final.
> >  Allowing it to be subclassed is creating the mess
> you
> > describe--the variables in the XML file and
> actions on
> > them in the DAF subclass.  (Another was writing
> about
> > putting member variable initializations in the
> > validate() function--the DAF subclass may also
> start
> > encouraging other messier programming habits.)
> >
> > As for those who don't like getter/setters and
> want to
> > use the common-beanutils "get" functions described
> by
> > Craig:  Might it have been better, in addition to
> > making the DAF class final,
>
> Making DAF final would have prevented the use case
> where you want to
> subclass it for custom reset() or validate()
> methods.  This would have
> forced the use of two classes instead of one -- IMHO
> that would have been
> more confusing, not less.

Exactly--that's the advantage of making the DAF final!
If one wishes to have custom reset() or validate()
methods, one needs to trot back to the ActionForm.
The only programming/configuration of any type you
should be able to do for a DAF is in the form beans
section of the struts-config file.

The DAF seems to me just a nice enhancement from 1.0.2
because you no longer need to create ActionForm
subclasses for jsp's not needing validation.

And AF is then for when you do have specific
validation--and it would be good if we can give
programmers the option in the future of using either
the beanutils get()/set() functions or the JavaBeans
getter/setter functions within the AF.

Glen