My two cents on the topic.

As mentioned, once you move to a good Java IDE like JBuilder, writing
getters and setters is no longer nearly the pain it used to be.

What bothers me about the DynaBean approach is that it's *yet another*
file, and *yet another* level of indirection that obscure what's really
going on.  I can look at an ActionForm, see all the properties, look at the
validation, all in one step.  Making it a DynaBean form means having to
maintain another file with the XML, always having to remember where it is, etc.

I think the decision to use one or the other is a matter of programming
style, but I don't think either one is dogmatically a best practice.

James