Sorry, I still need help on this part.

What do I need to use to get the <bean:write> to work?  I get an error
saying:

Cannot find bean XX in scope null

I assume I'm missing some statement earlier that I need.

I actually like the hidden approach (since you can see the value and it
will get carried over on form submit), but I don't want to move to the
1.1 stuff.

-- dave