The pre-release Chapter 1 of Chuck's book has a section on this... about 15 pages down
or so and explains the "syndrome" that your ex-colleague is demonstrating.
...Tell him that it's curable though :)

 "Juan Alvarado (Struts List)" wrote:
Hello folks:

Recently I had a discussion with an ex-colleague of mine regarding struts. I
explained to him that it's an awesome framework and that it has everything
for developing web applications using MVC.

His response was something to the effect of "I'm sure struts is great but we
are very happy with our architecture here and that it has all the benefits
of struts and that they are 100% J2EE compliant and sun pattern compliant
and blah blah blah.... He also made it a point to point out that his
architecture is just J2EE and no third party libraries.

I tried telling him that struts was all J2EE also and that it was written in
pure java. His response was that it was a third party package on top of
J2EE. He then tried to tell me what patterns he uses for his architecture
and those consisted of: Service to Work, with Servlet Front Strategy,
Displatcher in Controller Strategy, and JSP View Strategy, Value Objects,and
Data Access Objects.

I tried to tell him that all that was nice and dandy, but with struts he
could use all those patterns with struts and in the process save himself a
ton of time in developing his application(s). Basically this was his
response:

I'm just against anything other than the base stuff. I don't like reallying
on any pieces that are from other parties or that put layers on top of
Java... to be honest, I'm just not interested. I'm sure that many of the
people on there will have lots to say about why struts is great, but I
already looked into it, along with all other options, and saw no benefits
beyond adopting J2EE and Sun's core J2EE patterns. There isn't anything
struts does that our architecture now doesn't do, and it doesn't do it any
easier, so why would I bother?

So my question is as follows... Isn't this person wrong in saying that
struts puts layers on top of Java and that struts doesn't do anything easier
than his sun based architecture?? If that was the case, why aren't we using
his architecture/framework?? I mean as far as I know, sun doesn't have
anything close to what struts is, and if truth be told, aren't they(Sun)
using at least one of the struts creators for their own Java Server Faces
framework.

I would love to hear what the community's reaction to these comments are.

Sorry for the long post, but I think this one was worth it.

Juan Alvarado
Internet Developer -- Manduca Management
(786)552-0504
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
AOL Instant Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]