Use container-managed security.  This is a feature of your application
server (servlet container) that allows you to use standard configuration
techniques to specify roles and, on a per-application basis, what areas
of the site those roles have access to.  If you're not familiar with
container-managed authentication (CMA), you should become familiar with
it.  It's really handy!

Regards,

Eddie