http://jakarta.apache.com/tomcat - look for "Realms".  If you're not
using Tomcat, check the user documentation for your servlet container.
 If you'd like the actual spec, it's available on sun's web site.
 There's also a very good explaination of this mechanism to be found in
"Java Servlet Programming" (Jason Hunter: O'Reilly) and "Java Server
Pages" (Hans Bergsten: O'Reilly).

I simply refer to the books, myself - and the Tomcat site, of course.
 Tomcat gives you the ability to configure your Realms (and their
associated users/roles) in three formats right out of the box.  Those
formats are:  flat-file (XML), JDBC, JNDI (LDAP).  If one of those does
not suite your needs, you can "roll your own".  Other application
servers implementations may allow different ways to actually implement
this (I don't think there is a standard wrt the "Realms" in Tomcat -
however accessing the information for a "logged-in" user *is*
specifically layed out in the servlet specification).  Search
java.sun.com for container-managed authentication :-) and check your
servlet-container handbook/documentation.  I can't recommend those books
highly enough either.  I think I reference the JSP book more than the
servlet book for this particular topic though (just FYI).

HTH,

Eddie