From: Ryan Cuprak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 8:59 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Security and Struts

Hello,

I have been looking into using a filter Servlet (implementing Filter
interface) to screen incoming requests however in Sun's api, the
doFilter
receives a ServletRequest and not a HttpServletRequest. The
HttpServletRequest of course has the getSession where I can retrieve (if
it
exists) the login information previously stored there. I did some
introspection and discovered in tomcat that the ServletRequest object
that
is returned is of type 'HttpServletRequest' but am unsure if this is a
safe
assumption to make. The documentation on the Sun site stated that the
filter
interface could be used for authentication but if one does not have
access
to the session information I don't see how.
 The reason I am not using container authentication or the built-in role
capabilities is because my setup is much more complicated and needs to
be
stored in a relational database (there are desktop apps which also will
key
off this information etc.)

-Ryan

On 7/30/02 3:33 PM, "Joe Barefoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A third option is to use a ServletFilter to do the same.  This has the
> advantage of sitting outside of the Struts framework, so you can
enforce
> security on other (non-Struts) Servlets and resources if you have
them.
> Check out the Servlet 2.3 API and tech. articles for info on
ServletFilters.
> You would have to come up with your own declarative role-resource
mapping
> configuration in this case, but that is not too difficult.  Just use
an XML
> file that maps URLs to allowed role names.
>
> Finally, Container-managed authentication/authorization is okay, but
it is
> application-server specific and would have to be modified for any port
> another container.
>

> peace,
> Joe

---