Break 'em up into smaller parts if you can.  We had to do this for a struts
application running under weblogic last year.

We performed a lot of tests on forms with varying amounts of struts
bean:message and bean:write tags using includes and iterations.  We found
that sun's vm was much more inefficient with jsps that contain large
numbers of these tags than ibm's.

With the sun vm, 1000 tags on a single page would perform orders of
magnitude worse than 1 page that includes 10 pages with 100 tags each , or
1 page with an iteration of 10 around 100 tags.  Same number of tag
executions so you would expect same performance, right?  nope.  Ibm's would
stay consistent (on the fast side).  Amusingly, if you turned profiling
switch on in the sun vm, this variance in performance disappeared.  I think
we still have all the numbers and a little test application we used
squirreled away somewhere.

It only came up because of a few particular (really not terribly well
designed) summary pages that had lots of tables on them, and all the data
in those tables was being rendered vie bean:write.  These various tables
had all been written into the same jsp, and we saw a major performance gain
from simply splitting each table into its own jsp fragment.

jim

                      "Craig R.

                      McClanahan"              To:       Struts Users Mailing List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
                      <craigmcc@apache.         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      org>                     cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Large form performance...

                      08/02/2002 11:12

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Struts Users

                      Mailing List"

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, John Nikolai wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:32:09 -0800
> From: John Nikolai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Large form performance...
>

> I ran our code within Orion and, with some tweeks to the HTML and JSP
code,
> it compiled and ran a lot faster than Tomcat. I ran the new, tweeked HTML
and
> JSP code using Tomcat but it was still slow to respond.

You might want to try out the latest (4.1.8) build of Tomcat.  A very
large amount of work has gone into the JSP page compiler, and some
benchmark results for pages with lots of tags (like most Struts pages :-)
have shown very dramatic performance increases -- on the order of 8 to 10
times faster.

Craig

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail: <