Contributing to the documentation isn't any different than contributing
to the codebase. Just figure out where it should go and submit a patch
or enhancement request through bugzilla. A list of which classes must be
extended and which can be used as-is (whitebox vs blackbox) could  be
handled in the newbie FAQ. Or we could add a new section to the User
Guide. The catalog document on my site is in HTML right now, but if
someone converted that to XML, we could move that over to the Struts
site and expand on that. Whoever does the work gets to make the decision.

There is also a lot of material that can be mined from the list. For
example, Craig posted some nice material on populating ActionForms on
the Dev list last week. If someone took that material, poured it into
XML, and submitted it to Bugzilla, we'd be on our way to a patterns
document. As a rule, 90% of anything Craig posts is a FAQ waiting to
happen. Someone just needs to take the initiative to convert the
exchange to a documentation entry.

Patches to the Javdocs are also welcome. The Struts Javadocs are a
wealth of detail and should be considered the primary source of
information. Moving forward, I'd like to expand on the Developers Guides

<http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/doc-1.0.2/api/org/apache/struts/taglib/bean/package-summary.html#package_description>

as a replacement for the User Guide. We can then use FAQs and working
examples <http://sourceforge.net/projects/struts> to fill in the blanks.
As it stands, maintaining details in the User Guide and in the Javadocs
is becoming a maintenance burden, and the Developer Guides model seems
like a better way to go.

One thing to keep in mind is that Struts "grew in the telling". There
are many places where the evolution of the codebase has caused
functionality to overlap. Someone realizes something is too hard to do
and so they introduce an easier way to do it. But since many people have
already done it the hard way, we can't change the old t way without
breaking a lot of code. The 1.1 codebase would be much simplier if not
for the 1.0 compatibility issues. But we can't desert all the 1.0
production applications on a "point release" and so we have to deal with
the legacy issues.

-Ted.