> Yeah, I know what I am saying would be like reinventing the wheel, and
thus
> the point of using a framework (to not reinvent the wheel).  However, my
> main concern is that learning to use this 'wheel' might take longer than
> building one myself.

And with the great books coming soon, you will learn faster and without pain
:o)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/ref=br_ss_/002-4557268-
5498463

 Chuck's preview is downloadable on the serverside:
http://www.theserverside.com/resources/strutsreview.jsp

(I hope Ted's draft book will also be available online)