I think it's time for a beer.

I changed my action mapping definition from:

      <action    path="/registration/save"
                 type="com.myapp.action.RegistrationAction"
                 name="registrationForm"
             validate="true"
            parameter="save"
                scope="request"
                input="/registration.jsp">
        <forward name="failure"              path="/registration.jsp"/>
        <forward name="success"
path="/do/registration/confirm"/>
      </action>

to:

     <action    path="/registration/save"
                name="registrationForm"
                type="com.myapp.action.RegistrationAction"
               input="/registration.jsp"
               scope="request"
           parameter="save"
            validate="true">
       <forward name="failure"              path="/registration.jsp"/>
       <forward name="success"
path="/do/registration/confirm"/>
     </action>

and it worked.