... and I don't really see where a "web-context" has anything to do with
a bean being called (and named) a bean ...

Obviously, if we wrote an application in C++, we probably wouldn't name
anything a bean (unless we had, say coffee beans we were modeling - may
likely have a bean in the class name then).  However, ... well, this is
Java :-) and I was under the (mistaken?) impression that a class which
follows the "JavaBeans Patterns" should be named appropriately.  Viewing
things in that frame of mind, I think appending "Bean" to a class' name
is appropriate if it conforms to those patterns -- not considering
whether it is used primarily in a "web application" or a "GUI
application".  I don't see why a distinction would be drawn.  Have I
missed something fundamental?

--
Eddie Bush