On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, micael wrote:

> Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 01:13:10 -0700
> From: micael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: reloading ApplicationResources
>
> While you are up and about, Craig, is there any place to get a good read on
> what happens when a web server like tomcat or a web application environment
> like struts is deployed?  I want to see how the reading of the xml files
> (web, server, struts, etc.) interacts with the container during
> deployment.  I can find this all out by slowly going through various
> processes, like the manager reloading or the MBean stuff, by investigation,
> but was hoping there would be someplace that gave a good simple
> explanation.  I can imagine how it happens, but don't know.

There is no such thing as a general purpose answer to these questions.
The most important response is that the container does ***not*** treat
Struts-based applications anhy differently than any other web application.
So, I can only describe for you how Tomcat 4 approaches the issues:

* The web server, once notified that a new webapp is being proposed
  for deployment, will examine the web.xml file for that webapp, to
  determine whether there are any syntactic or semantic errors that are
  fatal to application startup.

* If the container finds no problems, one of the common convntions is
  that any "load on startp" servlets that you have defined in the web.xml
  file will be initialzed.  Any problems loading these servlets will cause
  the applixcation deployment to fail.

In ***all*** circumstances, you should examine the log files emitted by
your application server for details about the specific problem that you
are encunteringg.

Craig