> This is ***not*** an issue that Stuts can solve by itself ... successful
> resoluation depends totally on the capabilities of the application server
> you are using for development.

partly disagree with that : it's a good thing to let the container do its
job, and try to focus on Strus' job, but we could have in 1.1 a facility
(the one that was in 1.0) for manualy reloading the conf, without having to
reload the entire webapp which is usualy a lot longer !
I'm not even talking about something fully automatic here ...

> I use Tomcat 4.1 for all of my app development efforts.  Among other
> things, this lets me take advantage of the dynamic application deployment
> and reload faciliites of Tomcat, as outlined in:
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html
>
> and
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html
>
> (both of which are available from a standard Tomcat installation.)  It's a
> total waste of time talking about what *Struts* can do to improve this
> situation; the real key is to take advantage of the general web
> application development and debugging support that your container
> supports.

Another point: about the reload facility of the container: before reloading
a webapp, or simply some classes definitions, weblogic 6.1 (which is the
container I use) swaps its memory. the problem, is that many of the static
objects placed in memory by Struts are not serializable, which makes the
webapp crash as soon as a reload tentative happens !
If you have any idea to investigate about that, I'll be interested ... :)