I use Tomcat 100% of the time, so, no, I don't have code to initialize
the data-source.  Sorry :-(

A ContextListener would also be another approach I forgot to mention.
 That's a servlet spec 2.3 thing - and would be even further independent
of the particular app.  Once written, you could drop into any app to
init your data-source.  If you find the need to externalize your
configuration, see commons-digester -- it's a snap!  (read the package
docs for info on how to use digester - it is well documented through the
javadocs)

--
Eddie Bush