>I have seen a lot of newspaper adverts with
>"improve your CV" guaranteed for £100. I would go to a graduate
>recruitment fair if indeed you are recent graduate (2nd jobber).
>Obviously that precludes me, but going to proper professional
>consultant can work wonders. Fortunately most financial city
>instituations put that sort of thing together for the employees
>that are getting the boot, at least to politically soften
>the wounds. You would be well advised to seek their help,
>because any help helps just that little bit.

Yes. My former employer sent us to just such a class (It was optional, but
as you said, if its available, take it), and in my case it helped *a lot*.
Mind you, the only reason it helped a lot was that the instructor a) gave a
crap, b) had been through two layoffs himself, and c) was really good at
what he did. The other "career consultant" to whom I was assigned (he was
supposed to review my resume, etc.) was absolutely useless. I don't know if
its possible, but before parting with any money, try to determine what
you're actually going to get in return. The quality does vary.

Dave