I'm a graphic designer. I use struts. I don't have a problem with tags. I
cut the code for scriptlets.  I don't understand what the big whoop is -
it's not quantum mechanics. Here's what I do:

Step 1 - Design UI. This is not done using Dreamweaver or anything, because
we're talking about the design, not the implementation.

Step 2 - Template for design is implemented as HTML. I hand-code because I'm
insane, but a designer could happily use Dreamweaver or such crap here.

Step 3 - HTML is cut into individual common elements (banner, menu, body,
screen heading, action buttons). Master template JSPs are created. I use
tiles for this but you could use whatever you like.

Step 4 - The graphic design work is complete. The tiles and css styles
control every graphic element. JSPs for the page body can now be create by
any shmo. It's just like playing with lego. People responsible for JSP don't
need to be HTML gurus OR Java gurus. If a tile ends up being used a lot, and
is reusable across applications, we write a custom tag for it.

The beautiful thig about this is the actual graphic design work can be done
at any time during the course of development. We had a project last year
where the client made us change it completely four times!

Round here we have a dedicated UI guy (me) and about ten programmers, some
who like to make their own screens, some who wait for me to do it, some who
do a bit and then get me to finish it off. Once a project is well under way
I often get relegated to a "design police" sort of role, where I review the
application and TWEAK the few places where the design hasn't been
implemented properly.

Peace
Todd Pierce