I am using the html:option tag
I must set the scope of the parent form to session for the tag to generate
the correct  selected = "selected"
Html on the page when the form is submitted (it is bouncing back to the same
page)

Why is this?

The request hits the server with the values in it
The action servlet creates the formbean and populates it.
The form bean has the correct values when queried from the action class that
services this request

The jsp containing the html:option tag is the last thing the request is
forwarded to

Why then does the tag not correctly locate the reference (in the parent
form) to the actionform that has the correct values when the scope of this
Form is set to request.

We come from the land of the ice and snow
With the midnight sun, where the hot springs glow
The hammer of the gods, will drive our ships to new lands
Fight the horde, Sing and cry
Valhalla I am coming