From: J Aaron Farr [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2003 4:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Struts Productivity Survey

Greg,

I had a similar situation recently, although not nearly at the scope you're
currently facing.  I'm not sure if it was an advantage, but I had a handful
of
developers who were completely new to java, object-oriented programming,
everything.  One had some COBOL experience, the rest were database people
(Oracle P/SQL programmers).  Luckily I had the other project leader on my
side
and he agreed Struts was the way to go.

Personally I think Struts is easy to grasp IF you break it down.  My plan was
something like this:

1. Get everyone up to speed on the general idea of MVC and Struts.  Basic
definitions.  Perhaps show an extremely trivial example.

2. Divide up the work.  View people don't need to understand how Actions work
completely.  Likewise Action and Model people don't need to understand Views
or
Taglibs.  As long as you have well defined interfaces and know what needs
passed to what, you can teach people on a need-to-know basis.  For many
developers I think this is easier.  It gives them something to work on.  The
ambitious ones will do their own homework.

3. Develop one part of the application completely to be used as a reference.
In my case, the application had three main parts to it.  I wrote almost all
of
part one, and then turned it over to the team for parts two and three.  I did
complete walk through with them and then after that I was just on support.

We had the whole process moving within a week.  It was a hectic week mind
you,
but it worked and things got done the right way.  I think Struts easily lends
itself to group development and if you have a couple of knowledgeable people
in
charge, the rest can do good work without really understanding everything
about
the framework.

Good Luck!
jaaron