From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 9:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Struts Productivity Survey

Ok, so let me pose it a different way.  Put yourself in this position:

You're a consultant or an architect who has been tasked with building a
Struts application with 100 screens.  You're actually migrating an
application which was originally written as a fat client app in VB and the
server was written in C++.

You have about 50 developers who know VB and C++ pretty well.  Some of them
know Java/JSP/Servlets very well.  Some of them know it very little.  None
of them know Struts.

Your job is to estimate the cost of getting these folks up to speed on
Struts.  You already have the application design.  THere's going to be a
thin business layer called by the Action classes that will use EJB session
beans to provide application functionality.  Fairly simple.  You have to
train these people to use Struts, create actions and pages, and write the
web-tier business layer.  Somebody else is doing the EJB stuff.

How do you estimate that cost?
How long do you think it will take for these various developers to write
their first business function?
How long to do the next one, etc?